We drove back home on Monday from spending a long weekend in D.C., but I haven’t had time to upload all the pictures yet for a recap. The trip was fabulous so I’ll post an update on our weekend soon!
In the meantime, here’s a short and sweet post featuring a new recipe that I tried last night, which was quite delicious! It’s based off of Cooking Light‘s recipe, but I changed a few things to fit food preferences and what we had in the fridge. It’s the perfect speedy, summer dinner: Grilled chicken with peach quinoa and avocado kale salad. Yum!
Grilled Chicken with Peach Quinoa
2 1/4 cups water, divided
1 cup quinoa
2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, divided
2 tsp. fresh lemon thyme
1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
2 cups chopped peaches
1/2 of a red onion, chopped small
1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
1/2 tsp fresh black pepper, divided
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tsp. dijon mustard
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly in a strainer. Combine quinoa and 2 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, peaches, onions, 1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, thyme, ginger, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and grill on each side until done.
- In a small saucepan add 1/4 cup water, dijon mustard, and 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar. Cook for one minute, stirring to combine, then let sit over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Spoon glaze over chicken and serve with quinoa mixture.
Avocado Kale Salad
As a side item, I made avocado kale salad from this cookbook: Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes. It’s essentially kale with avocado “massaged in” with your hands and with sea salt, pepper, and lemon juice tossed in. It looks like creamed spinach but is delicious, I promise!