In less than 35 minutes you can cook up a delicious dinner or spend that amount of time completing a new outdoor circuit workout… here’s how:
First up: Delicious Broiled Eggplant with Spicy Sautéed Sausage & Vegetables
The other day, I was planning on John grilling out chicken and vegetables for dinner, but I forgot that we’d run out of propane. So instead, I created this recipe from what we had on hand. Not sure what to expect – especially since we normally only like eggplant that is grilled – we were both very satisfied with the new dinner creation!
I started by caramelizing an onion, while I chopped a red bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro and chicken sausage. I sliced an eggplant into rounds, or “pucks” as John calls them.
While the onion caramelized, I spread the eggplant out on a baking sheet and brushed the rounds with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and Emeril’s Original Essence Seasoning.
While the eggplant broiled at 500 degrees for 7 minutes, flipping after 4 minutes, I added the bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, and sausage to the onion mixture.
I finished by spreading the eggplant out on the plates and topping it with the onion mixture, fresh cilantro, and cheese (or nutritional yeast for me).
Here’s the winning recipe:
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees, placing rack at the top third of the oven.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and once hot, add onions. Caramelize onions until browned.
- While onions cook, chop the remaining ingredients.
- Spread out eggplant rounds onto a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top of eggplant slices. Lightly sprinkle garlic and Emeril’s seasoning on top of slices. Turn over and repeat.
- Put eggplant in the oven and cook for 7 minutes, flipping the slices over after 4 minutes.
- While eggplant cooks, add bell pepper, tomatoes, garlic, and sausage to the onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once eggplant is done (not too firm or too mushy – but err on the firm side), place slices onto the plates. Top eggplant slices with onion mixture. Top with cilantro and cheese or nutritional yeast.
Next: 35 minute intense outdoor running and body weight exercise workout
After my sister-in-law showed me her intense circuit training workout the last time we were in Orlando, I’ve been incorporating similar workouts in my fitness routine. The following workout is one I did in our local park since you don’t need any equipment… enjoy!
If you are unfamiliar with some of the exercises here are links to them:
Duck and Skip: Side lunge to right, ducking down low, then jump off of right leg bringing left leg into a skip. Repeat on alternating sides. (Similar to this video but adding a jump.)