After traveling a lot in May, this month John and I want to be intentional about inviting people over for dinner. An easy go-to meal, especially in the summer, is grilling out. We love to grill salmon, chicken, and burgers, and we have a few favorite rubs for each of these to add some spice and flavor.
However, grilling out multiple times a week isn’t always economical if you’re feeding a crowd. One night last week, I wanted to utilize my slow cooker to make a big dinner. But most of my slow cooker recipes are more suited for a hearty winter meal rather than a summer get-together with friends. And then I discovered crock pot chicken enchilada soup.
|The bright green toppings even make the soup look summery!|
Serves 6- If you would like it to serve more, double the beans and tomatoes, and add 1 more cup broth
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup mushrooms
3 cups low sodium fat-free chicken broth
8 oz can tomato sauce
2 tsp jalapeno sauce
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn
2 jalapenos, chopped (with seeds if you want it spicy)
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 8 oz skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup green onions for topping
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheesed for topping (optional)
Fat free sour cream (optional)
1 avocado, sliced for garnish
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes.
2. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and jalapeno sauce and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into slow cooker.
3. Add drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, jalapenos, red pepper, cumin, and basil to the slow cooker and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
4. Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup.
5. Serve in bowls and top with whatever toppings you like, including fat free sour cream, cheese, scallions, cilantro, and avocado.