Today’s recipes for A Week of Ginger show you how to incorporate ginger into baked goods that you want to add an edge too.
The first is a muffin recipe that is perfect as a dinner side or for breakfast. I used the Better Homes and Gardens “Make-it-Mine Muffins” recipe, but switched it up a bit by adding ginger and lemon zest. With whole wheat flour and applesauce, these ginger muffins are pretty much “guilt free” too.
The second recipe is a sweet and spicy granola combo that is perfect as a stand alone snack or as a topper for yogurt. Enjoy!
Lemon Ginger Muffins
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup applesauce
3/4 cup almond milk (or regular or buttermilk)
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 Tbsp grated ginger
Zest from 1/2 of lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease twelve muffin cups. In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a bowl combine eggs, applesauce, milk, butter, ginger, and lemon zest. Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. (Batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each to two-thirds full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Cool in muffins cups on wire rack for 5 minutes then remove and serve.
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix oats, almonds, and sunflower seeds in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients (except the raisins) with a whisk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the oat mixture and mix well, until the oats are thoroughly coated.
- Spread evenly over cookie sheet, and bake for about 30 – 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, pour in container, and stir in raisins.