As promised, here is another delicious quinoa recipe to try for dinner. This recipe was a bit time consuming (it took about an hour), but so worth it. Though John still prefers a “real” burger, he loved this one too!
Sweet Potato Quinoa Burgers
The original recipe came from The Naked Kitchen (aka clean eating!)
|I served my quinoa burgers in a toasted pita, with sweet potato fries (recipe below) and green beans.
Makes 10 burgers
1 can (15 ounces) no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups cubed sweet potatoes, peeled (about 3 regular sized potatoes)
3/4 cup sweet corn, frozen or fresh
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 tbsp olive oil
heaping 1/3 cup finely ground rolled oats
2 tbsp roasted sunflower seeds
1/4 tsp sea salt
fresh black pepper to taste
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp hot sauce
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water and bring to a boil on the stove. Add the sweet potatoes and lower the heat to simmering. Let the potatoes cook for about 20-30 minutes. Drain the potatoes and set aside to cool. Once your potatoes have cooled use a fork to mash them. You want them mashed but not creamy.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a large mixing bowl add half of the black beans and mash them with a fork. Add the rest of the beans and the remaining ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Form the mixture into 10 balls. Each burger should be about 1/2″ thick.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray or tbsp. of oil.
- Place patties on grill pan and cook for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until golden brown.
These burgers will keep in the fridge for 5 days. Simply let the burgers cool, place them in a sealed container, and stick them in the fridge. You can also store them in freezer bags in the freezer for up to 6 months. To reheat, place the burgers on a baking sheet and cook at 350 degrees until they are heated all the way through.
Sweet Potato Fries
2 sweet potatoes (or 1 large one)
Ground black pepper
Preheat over to 425 degrees. Peel sweet potatoes and cut lengthwise into fry shapes. Put them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for about 30 minutes, turning halfway through, or until they start to brown and turn a bit crispy.