Due to being out of town, visiting a friend in flight school at Fort Rucker, and being sick I haven’t posted any new clean eating recipes. However, clean eating is still happening here at BeEmbraced!
I always find lunches the most annoying meal of the day:
- Who wants to wake up early enough (or be diligent enough to make it the night before) to pack a decent lunch for work?
- What yummy foods fit in a lunch box AND satisfy needs for protein, carbs, and yummy taste?
- And don’t even tell me to make a sandwich… I got sick of those by senior year of high school!
So my challenge was to find clean lunches to bring to work to replace the hodgepodge of hummus, crackers, fruit, granola bars that I normally bring.
Leftovers are always a good option, especially if you have access to a microwave.
- The salsa/topping you made for the tacos the night before can easily be put on top of lettuce for a satisfying (and easy to assemble!) salad. To stay clean, drizzle on homemade salad dressing (see recipe below).
- Soups and stews are hearty and a great way to get your veggies and fiber in (read: keeps you fuller for longer). Pack some veggies or whole grain crackers to dip in black bean hummus as a side (see recipe below).
- A yogurt parfait is not only a good breakfast option, but also a quick and satisfying lunch choice… especially with the wholesome, clean muffin recipe below.
For days you work from home, or on the weekends, egg scramble is my personal favorite. I like an English muffin topped with hummus on the side.
Directions: Chop whatever veggies you have in the fridge (tomato, bell pepper, onion/green onion, jalapeno, mushrooms, and spinach are my favorite). Saute them for a couple minutes in 1 teaspoon of olive oil. In a bowl, whisk together 1 egg and 2 egg whites with a splash of milk. Pour eggs into skillet and scramble eggs with veggies until done. (Note: Add the spinach last, if using). Season with pepper and any other spices. For a variation, adding in loose leaf green tea leaves adds a yummy flavor (and antioxidants!).